Due to the availability and commoditization of technology solutions, it had begun to engage in its own technology capabilities, introducing risk and sprawl into the environment. The company’s IT had, in pockets, engaged with these business-led endeavors. In other cases, some IT teams were leading similar initiatives in an effort to respond to the need for speed. The company requested that ISG help it understand its current state, envision its future state more holistically and plan its transformation.
Imagining IT Differently
ISG conducted a current-state assessment. This assessment included a market perspective of potential cost savings through benchmarking.
ISG designed a target operating model (TOM) to clearly outline the approach for business alignment, which included a plan to :
- Define a product model to better align IT capabilities to the business;
- Introduce Enterprise Agility to enable multi-speed IT, including culture change and joint accountability with the business;
- Design a strategy to source legacy work, freeing internal resources to focus on modernization, up-skilling, and value add work by employees while funding transformation needs; and
- Identify and accelerate the speed of delivery through automation and team dynamics.
Future Made Possible
- The company used our market knowledge, insights and methodologies to efficiently source core legacy capabilities. It used the significant savings gained from outsourcing to fund its transformation. It sourced scarce skills and capabilities needed to accelerate automation and modernization programs.
- It received a product-aligned delivery model and leveraged it to begin an engagement using an agile, iterative approach. The engagement aimed to:
- Create product teams, including business product owners, in a shared accountability model to better align technology investment to business value and needs;
- Establish the governance and performance model necessary to drive product-aligned delivery and value-based product management; and
- Engage IT and business stakeholders in a culture change approach to enable the process, role and culture change needed to enable product team and enterprise agility.